Monday, August 22, 2022

The week of August 22

I hope you had a great weekend!  

We are busy learning about all kinds of school rules and procedures in class and in the building!  There is sure a lot to learn in first grade! 

I want to thank everyone that graciously donated to our classroom off of my Amazon wishlist!  I have several items that did not have who they were from so I apologize for not being able to thank you personally.  All of the items I received are helping me so much with my Class Dojo positive behavior program I just began today! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

 Class Dojo

Today I began a new behavior incentive program called Class Dojo.  The kids will earn points for several positive behaviors I'm looking for in class to develop a great learning environment for every student!

The positive behaviors are:

Awesome illustration, being kind, following directions, independent working, lovely line, not giving up, participating, raising hand, voice level, wonderful writing, working hard, and good citizenship

I have certain rewards they can purchase with their points.  Each day an instant reward will be a piece of candy or gum for 5 points.  Or they can choose to "bank" their points to save for a big reward on Friday.  I have rewards up to 75 points!  The kids received a lot of points already!  Way to go class!

As we learn about making a positive learning environment this week, we have found out about our library and have book shopped today for our Read to Self time.

ELA

Today we read "Interrupting Chicken" and talked about how to not be an interrupting chicken while Mrs. Scott or others are the speaker.

All week we will continue working on skills to help us self-talk to calm our bodies, and learn about ways to be helpful in our classroom.

We will be doing activities with the books-Pete the Cat, Giraffes, Alphabet Adventure,  Can't Dance, and Chrysanthemum.

Handwriting--We are learning that big lines, little lines, big curves, and little curves are used to make our letters and numbers.  Today we sang a song about "starting our letters and numbers at the top"!  Ask your child if they remember where we begin them.  This is so important for writing.  Watch your child form their letters at home and see if he/she is beginning at the top.  I will be sending home letter formation sheets soon for uppercase and lowercase letters to help you know how to help your child at home.  I will be using the same verbiage on the sheets.

We practiced writing numbers 1-5 on our whiteboards, and will continue to work on the rest of the numbers up to 9 this week.

Please remember to fill out the child information survey when you have a chance and send it in!  Thank you!

Coming up!

Aug. 26      "I am Special" worksheet coming home. Please help                             your child fill out.  Due Friday, Sept. 9

Sept. 2         All about Me Bag assignment coming home.

Sept.  5       Labor Day--no school

Sept. 9        "I am Special" worksheet and All About Me Bag due

Sept. 23        Lap-a-thon--CCE fundraiser-more info. coming up

Sept. 28        Conferences 4-8

Sept. 29        Conferences- All Day







No comments:

Post a Comment